Sunday, May 18, 2014

Road runner? Not so much....

Yesterday I skipped the gym and took my run outdoors. Once a week I briefly turn into a dance mom giving me an hour of solo time. The gym is near the dance studio but I lose time in the car and then there is the stress of finding an empty treadmill and then rushing back before class ends. Rather than race around, I decided why not give the path near the studio a try. And so I did. I hit a few snags--neither app I use would sync up to GPS so I did most of my run blind. I had no idea how far I'd run or at what pace. And when the GPS did start working, the pace wasn't accurate because of the time elapsed. Note to self: check distances before setting out. I turned around at what ended up being about a mile because it felt like I'd gone a long distance. I did enjoy the change in scenery but the constant hum of road noise meant I had to turn up my music a bit louder and as I was running with the road to my right and mostly undeveloped land to my left, I was nervous. The parts that were developed were housing developments with lots of cars turning in during rush hour.

Post run selfie
I'd like to run it again for the goal of running the full distance (about 4 miles total) and while it was nice to run off the treadmill, the cars and wooded areas make me uneasy. I can't seem to get into a running zone when I'm constantly checking my surroundings. 

How do you get used to running outdoors? 

Angie 

2 comments:

  1. I never have gotten used to running outdoors! Running just isn't my thing even indoors so I've struggled to do anything but a 5K outside

    ReplyDelete